Balancing life can be very challenging for me at times. Sometimes it seems as though everything and everyone is competing for my attention at the same moment. Often, I must stop, take a deep breath and put things back in proper balance.
Nurturing balance and harmony among all the aspects of life can bring true happiness. Yes, it can be difficult at times… trying to keep everything in order. But when you do, the harmony you create makes an amazing difference.
The key is learning how to spread your focus fairly equally among the different areas of your life. This simply means that, while balancing work and home life might be hectic…you can't ignore your other relationships, spirituality, or other things that are also important to you.
Picture your life situation like beautiful music being performed by a skilled orchestra. Every instrument performs in perfect harmony with the others. Sometimes one instrument will come forward into the spotlight, while the other instruments pause or continue playing quietly in the background, fulfilling their part of the total beauty.
If you are living out of balance, try these techniques for bringing that same kind of beauty, balance and harmony to your life:
- Avoid total focus on only one issue. If you spend all of your energy on one aspect of your life, the others fall by the wayside. If you must spend a great deal of time on one area temporarily, make an extra effort to include other important things as much as possible.
For example, if you must stay late at work, call home to talk with your spouse or partner as soon as possible. After work, use your free time wisely to concentrate on other areas of your life.
- Reflect on your goals and dreams. Take time to think through your goals and dreams. Come up with a plan to follow through and start taking action toward achieving them. Even if you feel that you aren't at a point where you can take great action at this moment, taking some action is better than nothing.
- Eliminate stress. Stress arises in your life as a sign that things aren't in balance. It is a natural gauge that tells you it's time to take action. If you ignore it, the situation only gets worse.
When you determine the root cause of stress, try to reduce it as much as possible. You'll find that things naturally tend to move back towards harmony once your stress is reduced.
- Get proper rest. An important part of balancing life and gaining harmony is getting enough sleep. If you find yourself constantly trying to squeeze in just one more thing while depriving yourself of sleep… set a bedtime and stick to it religiously.
- Explore spirituality. Another way for balancing life and creating harmony is to explore your spiritual side. Many religions specifically address the issue of finding balance in your life.
- Take up yoga. Yoga is a practice that goes beyond some simple stretches in order to keep fit. It's an ancient art that addresses your mind, body and spirit. It's a great way for building balance into your whole day, and you'll no doubt leave your yoga session refreshed and relaxed. Yoga gives me peace, harmony and a deep sense of relaxation.
When your life is in harmony, everything seems to be easier. You’ll enjoy a life marked by order and balance. You're less stressed, more energized, and you have the time to enjoy those things that are most important to you. Take action to bring this balance into your life… and enjoy all it has to offer you!
Go from Balancing Life to the Personal Development home page
If you have explored your spirituality, what benefit has it offered in balancing your life?
Do you practice Yoga? If yes, how often? How has that exercise helped in balancing your life? What has changed as a result? Share it here, and I will send you one of my favorite Personal Development booklets!